General and comparative works on the Semitic alphabet and its ancient and modern derivatives, or with similar series of characters employed to represent the sounds of a language, are entered under Alphabet.
Here are entered works on variations in the style of writing in the past and especially with ancient and medieval handwriting.
Works on the process or result of recording language in the form of conventionalized visible marks or graphic signs on a surface are entered under Writing. Works on the writing of a particular language are entered under the name of the language with subdivisions Alphabet and Writing, e.g. Greek language -- Alphabet; Egyptian language -- Writing. Works on systems of writing used by several peoples are entered under Writing, followed by the name of the system, e.g. Writing, Arabic.
Works on written languages as a form of communication or discourse are entered under Written communication.
See also what's at your library, or elsewhere.
Broader terms:Related terms:Narrower terms:Used for:
Filed under: Copyists -- Fiction
Filed under: Unicode (Computer character set)
Filed under: Alphabet rhymes|
Filed under: English language -- Alphabet -- Juvenile literatureFiled under: Alphabets
- A, Apple Pie, by Kate Greenaway (page images and HTML at Celebration of Women Writers)
- The Absurd ABC (London and New York: John Lane, c1874), by Walter Crane (Gutenberg text and illustrated HTML)
- Comic Animals and their Adventures; With Alphabet and Rhymes (ca. 1880), illust. by George H. Thompson and Louis Wain (illustrated HTML at Gutenberg Canada)
- Footsteps on the Road to Learning: or, The Alphabet in Rhyme (New Haven: S. Babcock, 1850) (Gutenberg text and illustrated HTML)
- Laughable Lyrics: A Fourth Book of Nonsense Poems, Songs, Botany, Music, Etc., by Edward Lear (illustrated HTML at nonsenselit.org)
Filed under: Morse code -- Fiction
Filed under: Aljamía
Filed under: Grantha alphabet -- Study and teaching
Filed under: Cherokee language -- AlphabetFiled under: Oriya language -- Alphabet
Filed under: Sanskrit language -- India -- Tamil Nadu -- AlphabetFiled under: Telugu language -- Alphabet
Filed under: Inscriptions, Greek -- Greece -- AthensFiled under: Inscriptions, Greek -- Greece -- AttikeFiled under: Inscriptions -- Tunisia
Filed under: Architectural inscriptions -- Washington (D.C.)Filed under: Epitaphs
Filed under: Epitaphs -- Great Britain
- Ames' Guide to Self Instruction in Practical and Artistic Penmanship (1894), by Daniel T. Ames (page images at iampeth.com)
- Collection of Penmanship (1921), by C. C. Canan (page images at iampeth.com)
- La Operina (in Italian, with English translation and commentary), by Ludovico degli Arrighi, ed. by Gunnlaugur S. E. Briem (zipped PDF at operina.com)
- The New Zanerian Alphabets: An Instructor in Roundhand, Engrossing, Designing, Etc. (Columbus, OH: Zaner and Bloser, c1900), by C. P. Zaner (page images at iampeth.com)
- Studies in Pen Art (1914), by William Edward Dennis (page images at iampeth.com)
Filed under: Inscriptions, EgyptianFiled under: Inscriptions, LatinFiled under: Inscriptions, Semitic
- Curious Epitaphs (London: W. Andrews and Co., 1899), ed. by William Andrews
Filed under: Picture-writing, Indian
Filed under: Seals (Numismatics) -- AncientFiled under: Seals (Numismatics) -- Byzantine EmpireFiled under: Seals (Numismatics) -- Great Britain
- Ephemeris für Semitische Epigraphik (3 volumes, in German; 1902-1909), by Mark Lidzbarski
Filed under: Seals (Numismatics) -- Middle East -- ExhibitionsFiled under: Signatures (Writing)
Filed under: Coptic manuscripts (Papyri)
Filed under: Egyptian language -- Papyri, Demotic
Filed under: Manuscripts, Greek (Papyri) -- Egypt -- Aphrodito (Extinct city)
Filed under: Manuscripts, Greek (Papyri) -- France -- StrasbourgFiled under: Paleography, Greek
- Numismata Cromwelliana: or, The Medallic History of Oliver Cromwell, Illustrated by His Coins, Medals and Seals (London: John Russell Smith, 1877), by Henry William Henfrey
Filed under: Paleography, Musical
- Die Zweite Subscription des Clarkianus 39 (in German; Lemgo: F. L. Wagener, 1890), by Albrecht Jordan
More items available under narrower terms.