Load Limits of Library Floors
- From: Hal Morris <hal@[redacted]>
- Subject: Load Limits of Library Floors
- Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:10:48 -0500 (EST)
I'm wondering about the safety of how I would like to set up my library,
and thought there must be some general advice or rules of thumb out there
somewhere that someone on this list might know of. I'd like to build some
number - up to 3 anyway, or 4' wide double-sided bookshelves (freestanding
- not up against a wall - with books on either side, that is), 8' tall,
having 9 10" shelves on each side. I made a rough estimate that each
would weigh 1000 pounds, and I'd like to put 3 in parallel.
This isn't enough information to determine whether this is a safe plan or
not, but you get the idea. Does anyone out there know a book, web site,
listserv, or other source for general advice of this sort?
Hal Morris: hal@[redacted] -- Editor of:
* H-SHEAR Web pages: http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~shear
* Tales of the Early Republic: http://www.panix.com/~hal
Web Resources: Bibliography, Biographical Dict... (work in progress)
* Jacksonian Miscellanies: free email weekly of source exerpts.