Here are entered works on allegory as a literary form. Collections of allegories are entered under Allegories.
See also what's at Wikipedia, your library, or elsewhere.
Filed under: Allegory|
- The Vitality of Allegory: Figural Narrative in Modern and Contemporary Fiction (Columbus, OH: Ohio State University Press, c2012), by Gary Johnson (PDF at Ohio State)
- Body Against Soul: Gender and Sowlehele in Middle English Allegory (Columbus, OH: Ohio State University Press, c2009), by Masha Raskolnikov
- Chaucer's Dante: Allegory and Epic Theater in The Canterbury Tales (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991), by Richard Neuse (HTML at UC Press)
- The Troubled Union: Expansionist Imperatives in Post-Reconstruction American Novels (Columbus, OH: Ohio State University Press, c2010), by John Morán González (PDF at Ohio State)
- The Ruling Passion: British Colonial Allegory and The Paradox of Homosexual Desire (Durham, NC and London: Duke University Press, 1995), by Christopher Lane (page images at HathiTrust)
- The English Moralities From the Point of View of Allegory (Boston and London: Ginn and Co., 1914), by W. Roy Mackenzie
- The Flourishing of Romance and the Rise of Allegory (Periods of European Literature v2; London and Edinburgh: W. Blackwood and Sons, 1897), by George Saintsbury (Gutenberg text and page images)
Items below (if any) are from related and broader terms.
Filed under: Symbolism in literature
Filed under: Symbolism in literature -- Psychological aspects -- Humor
- The Sigla of Finnegans Wake (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1976), by Roland McHugh (page images at Wisconsin)
- Mandelstam, Blok, and the Boundaries of Mythopoetic Symbolism (Columbus, OH: Ohio State University Press, c2011), by Stuart Goldberg (PDF at Ohio State)
- Images of Crisis: Literary Iconology, 1750 to the Present, by George P. Landow (illustrated HTML at Victorian Web)
- The Book of Masks (based on the 1921 J. W. Luce edition, with Valloton's illustrations added), by Remy de Gourmont, trans. by Jack Lewis, contrib. by Ludwig Lewisohn, illust. by Félix Vallotton (Gutenberg text and illustrated HTML)
- Le Livre des Masques: Portraits Symbolistes (third edition, in French; 1896), by Remy de Gourmont, illust. by Félix Vallotton (Gutenberg text and illustrated HTML)
- The Symbolism of the House Door in Classical Poetry (New York and Toronto: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1950), by Elizabeth Hazelton Haight (page images at HathiTrust)
- The Symbolist Movement in Literature (New York: E.P. Dutton and Co., c1919), by Arthur Symons (page images at HathiTrust)