Here are entered works which compare languages or groups of languages for the specific purpose of determining their common origin, or discuss the method of their comparison, as represented by 19th century comparative philology and its subsequent developments. Works which compare or contrast two or more languages with the aim of finding principles which can be applied to practical problems in language teaching and translation are entered under the heading Contrastive linguistics.
See also what's at Wikipedia, your library, or elsewhere.
Broader term:Narrower terms:Used for:
- Comparative philology
- Philology, Comparative
Filed under: Comparative linguistics|
Filed under: Comparative linguistics -- MapsFiled under: Comparative linguistics -- Periodicals
Filed under: Comparative linguistics -- Societies, etc. -- Periodicals
- On the Science of Language and Its Study, With Special Regard to South Africa: Address Delivered by Theophilus Hahn, Esq. Ph.D., Colonial Philologist, at the South African Public Library, on Saturday, 29th April, 1882 (Cape Town, South Africa: H. Michaelis, 1882), by Theophilus Hahn
- Die Ungleichheit Menschlicher Rassen Hauptsächlich vom Sprachwissenschaftlichen Standpunkte, unter Besonderer Berücksichtigung von des Grafen von Gobineau Gleichnamigem Werke (in German; Lemgo and Detmold: Meyer, 1856), by August Friedrich Pott
- The Psycho-Biology of Language: An Introduction to Dynamic Philology (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1935), by George Kingsley Zipf (page images at HathiTrust)
- From Spanish to Portuguese (1971, with supplementary audio material and texts), by Jack Lee Ulsh (PDF and audio at livelingua.com)
- Quatre Lettres sur le Mexique: Exposition Absolue du Système Hiéroglyphique Mexicain; La Fin de Pȧge de Pierre; Époque Glaciaire Temporaire; Commencement De Pȧge de Bronze; Origines de la Civilisation Et des Religions de L'antiquité; (Collection de Documents Dans les Langues Indigenes v4, in French, with an English appendix by Rafinesque on the Lenape; Paris: F. Brachet; Mexico: Juan Buxo y Cia., 1868), by abbé Brasseur de Bourbourg, contrib. by C. S. Rafinesque
Items below (if any) are from related and broader terms.
Filed under: Historical linguistics
Filed under: Historical linguistics -- Congresses
Filed under: Linguistic change -- CongressesFiled under: Historical linguistics -- Periodicals
Filed under: Linguistic change -- Periodicals
Filed under: Language and languages -- Etymology
Filed under: Cognate words
Filed under: Language obsolescence -- AustraliaFiled under: Language obsolescence -- MapsFiled under: Linguistic change
Filed under: Linguistic change -- Social aspects -- History
- A Book of the Beginnings (2 volumes; London: Williams and Norgate, 1881), by Gerald Massey