Wilson's Tales of the Borders and of Scotland
edited by John Mackay Wilson and Alexander Leighton
This is an 24-volume collection begun by John Mackay Wilson and completed (with
revisions) by Alexander Leighton. The stories, poems, and plays
come from a variety of sources and authors (and in many cases were
written by Wilson or Leighton).
Project Gutenberg has transcriptions of all of the volumes.
Below we link to their copies, and list their contents.
- Volume I (Preface; The Vacant Chair; The Faa's Revenge; Kate Kennedy; Recollections of Ferguson; The Disasters of Johnny Armstrong; The Professor's Tales (The Mountain Storm; The Fair Maid of Cellardykes); Prescription, or The 29th of September; The Countess of Wistonbury; Midside Maggie, or The Bannock o' Tollishill)
- Volume II (A Wife or the Wuddy; Lord Durie and Christie's Will; Recollections of Burns; The Professor's Tales (The Convivialists; Philips Grey); Donald Gorm; The Surgeon's Tales (The Cured Ingrate); The Adopted Son; The Fortunes of William Wighton; My Black Coat, or The Breaking of the Bride's China)
- Volume III (The Widow of Dunskaith; The Whitsome Tragedy; The Curgeon's Tales (The Diver and the Bell); Autobiography of Willie Smith; The Professor's Tales (Phebe Fortune); The Royal Bridal; The Royal Raid; The Experimenter; The Young Laird; The Rival Nightcaps)
- Volume IV (The Solitary of the Cave; The Maiden Feast of Cairnkibbie; The Professor's Tales (Early Recollections of a Son of the Hills; The Suicide's Grave); The Salmon-FIsher of Udoll; The Lindon Lairds, or Exclusives and Inclusives; Bon Gualtier's Tales (Country Quarters); The Monk of St. Anthony; The Story of Clara Douglas; The Fair; The Slave; The Katheran; The Monks of Dryburgh)
- Volume V (Bill Stanley, or A Sailor's Story; The Surgeon's Tales (The Conscience Stricken); Rattling, Roaring Willie; Bill Whyte; The Professor's Tales (The Last of the Pedlars); Duncan Schulebred's Vision of Judgment; Archy Armstrong; The Double-Bedded Room; The Highland Boy; Major Weir's Coach; The Divinity Student)
- Volume VI (The Guidwife of Coldingham; The Surgeon's Tales (The Somnambulist of Redcleugh); The Rothesay Fisherman; Leaves From the Diary of an Aged Spinster; Geordie Wilson, and the Heiress of Castle Gower; The Snow Storm of 1825; Guilty, or Not Guilty; The Sergeant's Tales (The Palantines); The Parsonage: My Father's Fireside; The Seers' Cave; The Laidley Worm of Spindleston Heugh; The Sabbath Wrecks)
- Volume VII (Judith the Egyptian, or The Fate of the Heir of Riccon; The Droich; Teh Lykewake; The Penny Wedding; The Amateur Lawyers; The Professor's Tales (Family Incidents; Home and the Gipsy Maid; The Return); The Poor Scholar; The Laird of Darnick Tower; The Broken Heart, a Tale of the Rebellion; The Cateran of Lochloy; The Serjeant's Tales (John Square's Voyage to India))
- Volume VIII (The Doom of Soulis; Harden's Revenge; The Physiognomist's Tale; The Good Man of Dryfield; The Surgeon's Tales (The Cherry-Stone; The Henwife; The Artist); The Bride; The Henpecked Man; Mortake, a Legend of Merton; The Serjeant's Tales (The Beggar's Camp); Leein Jamie Murdieston; Duncan M'Arthur)
- Volume IX (The Cripple, or, Ebenezer the Disowned; The Legend of Fair Helen of Kirconnel: Tom Duncan's Yarn; The Professor's Tales (The Three Brethren; The Mistake Rectified; Dura Den, or Second Thoughts Are Best); The Lair of Lucky's How; The Abduction; Sir Patrick Hume, a Tale of the House of Marchmont; The Serjeant's Tales (The Packman's Journal to London); Charles Lawson; Bon Gaultier's Tales (Mrs. Humphrey Greenwood's Tea-Party); The Recluse of the Hebrides; Ellen Arundel; Chatelard; Christie of the Cleek)
- Volume X (The First-Foot; The Romance of the Siege of Perth; The Professor's Tales (Peat-Casting Time; The Medal); The Meeting at St. Boswell's; The Story of May Darling; I Canna be Fashed, or Willie Grant's Confessions; Tales the East Neuk of Fife (The Castle of Crail, or King David and Maude; The Legend of the Church of Abercrombie; The Romance of the May); Caleb Crabbin; The Serjeant's Tales (The Imprudent Marriage); The Bewildered Student; The Crooked Comyn)
- Volume XI (The Dominie's Class; The Contrast of Wives; The Professor's Tales (The Social Man); The Two Comrades; The Surgeon's Tales (The Suicide); The Ghost of Howdycraigs; The Ghost of Gairyburn; The Smuggler; The Schoolfellows; The Red Hall, or Berwick in 1296)
- Volume XII (The Scottish Hunters of Hudson's Bay; The Professor's Tales (The Wedding); Mike Maxwel and the Gretna Green Lovers; Reuben Purves, or The Speculator; The Sea-Storm; The Heir of Inshannock; The Mosstrooper; The Forger; The Surgeon's Tales (The Three Letters; The Glass Back); We'll Have Another; The Scottish Veteran; The White Woman of Tarras)
- Volume XIII (The Unknown; The Trials of Menie Dempster; The Professor's Tales (The Natural History of Idiots); The Floshend Inn; Lottery Hall; The Dominie and the Souter (The Dominie's Courthsip; The Souter's Wedding); Roseallan's Daughter; The Two Sailors; The Dream)
- Volume XIV (The Covenanting Family; The Old Chronicler's Tales (The Prince of Scotland); Retribution; The Professor's Tales (The Enthusiast; Trees and Burns; Kirkyards); Polwarth on the Green; The Festival; A Legend od Holyrood; The Restored Son; The Skean Dhu; The Seven Years' Dearth; The Order of the Garter, a Story of Wark Castle)
- Volume XV (The Recollections of a Village Patriarch; The Old Chronicler's Tales (The Death of James I); The Curate of Govan; Gleanings of the Covenant (The Grandmother's Narrative; The Covenanters' March; Peden's Farewell Sermon; The Persecution of the M'Michaels); The Story of Tom Bertram; The Cottar's Daughter; The Surgeon's Tales (The Case of Evidence); The Warning; Grizel Cochrane, a Taler of Tweedmouth Muir; Squire Ben; The Battle of Dryffe Sands; The Clerical Murderer)
- Volume XVI (The Leveller; The Old Chonicler's Tales (The Death of James III); Gleanings of the Covenant (The Rescue at Enterkin; The Fatal Mistake; Bonny Mary Gibson; The Eskdalemuir Story; The Douglas Tragedy); The Countess of Cassilis; The Happy Conclusion; Mr. Samuel Ramsay Thruven, a Tale of Love and Bankruptcy; The Man-of-War's Man; The Angler's Tale; Perseverance, or The Autbiography of Roderic Gray; The Irish Reaper; Grace Camerson; The Mysterious Disappearance)
- Volume XVII (Roger Goldie's Narrative; Hogmanay, or The Ladt of Baloochgray; Gleanings of the Covenant (Sergeant Wilson; Helen Palmer; The Cairny Cave of Gavin Muir; Porter's Hole); The Recluse; A Highland Tradition; The Surgeon's Tales (The Bereaved; The Condemned); The Unbidden Guest; The Simple Man is the Beggar's Brother; Tales of the East Neuk of Fife (The Robbery at Pittenweem and the Porteous Mob; Story of Charles Gordon and Christina Cunningham); A Legend of Calder Moor; Hume and the Governor of Berwick)
- Volume XVIII (Thomas or Chartres; The Fugitive; The Bride of Bramblehaugh; Gleanings of the Covenant (James Renwick; Old Isbel Kirk; The Curlers; The Violated Coffin); The Surgeon's Tales (The Monomaniac); The Foundling at Sea; The Assassin; The Prisoner of War; Willie Wastle's Account of His Wife; The Stone-Breaker; Laird Rorieson's Will)
- Volume XIX (The Domestic Griefs of Gustavus M'Iver; The First and Second Marriage; The Dissolved Pledge; The Hawick Spate; The Avenger, or The Legend of Mary Lee; The Lord of Hermitage; Gleanings of the Covenant (Kinaldy; The Trials of the Rev. Samuel Austin); The Curse of Scotland; Leaves From the Life of Alexander Hamilton; The Sportsman of Outfieldhaugh; The Sea Fight)
- Volume XX (The Dominie of St. Fillan's; Sayings and Doings of Peter Paterson; The Heroine: A Legend of the Canongate; The Barley Bannock; Gleanings of the Covenant (John Govan's Narrative; "Old Bluntie"; Thomas Harkness of Lockerbren; The Shoes Reversed); The Lost Heir of the House of Elphinstone; Trials and Triumphs; The Miser of Newabbey; The Sea Skirmish)
- Volume XXI (The Burgher's Tales (The House in Bell's Wynd); The Prodigal Son; The Lawyer's Tales (The Woman with the White Mice); Gleanings of the Covenant (The Early Days of a Friend of the Covenant); The Detective's Tale (The Chance Question); The Merchant's Daughter; The Bride of Bell's Tower; Doctor Dobbie; The Seeker; The Surgeon's Tales (The Wager))
- Volume XXII (Ups and Downs; The Burgher's Tales (The Ancient Bureau); Lady Rae; The Diamond Eyes; David Lorimer; The Convict; The Amateur Robbery; The Procrastinator; The Ten of Diamonds)
- Volume XXIII (The Lawyer's Tales (Lord Kames's Puzzle); The Orphan; The Burgher's Tales (The Brownie of the West Bow); Gleanings of the Covenant (The Last Scrap); The Story of Mary Brown; Tibby Fowler; The Cradle of Logie; The Death of the Chevalier de la Beauté; The Story of the Pelican; The Widow's Ae Son; The Lawyer's Tales (The Story of Mysie Crag); The Twin Brothers; The Girl Forger; The Two Red Slippers; The Faithful Wife)
- Volume XXIV (The Minstrel's Tales; Glossary; General Index)
This is a "meta-book", which stitches together separate files elsewhere on the Web as they appeared in a previously published book. It is subject to removal if someone produces an integrated edition. If that happens, The Online Books Page will point to the integrated version.